What is Personal Injury?
Personal injury is any physical or mental injury to a person that results from another person's negligence or harmful act. Personal Injury involves civil law cases as opposed to criminal law cases that involve a defendant and the State of Maryland. Personal injury can occur in a wide variety of ways. The following are some of the most common accidents resulting in personal injury:
- Auto Accidents (including multiple vehicle car wrecks)
- Other Vehicle Accidents, including Aviation, Bicycle, Boat, Vessel, Cruise Ship, Motorcycle, Railroad, Truck accidents
- Burn Accidents
- Construction/On the Job Accidents
- Dangerous or Defective Products
- Dog/Animal Bites
- Medical Malpractice (Birth Injuries, Misdiagnosis, Surgical Negligence)
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- Slip and Fall Accidents/Premises Liability
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Toxic Exposure
- Traumatic Brain Injury
What financial compensation can I recover in a personal injury claim?
Personal injury accident victims are entitled to recover monetary damages for all losses and expenses sustained as the result of an accident. Depending upon the particular circumstances of your case, damages may include recovery for any of the following:
- Medical bills
- Lost income, including overtime wages
- Pain & suffering
- Physical disability
- Emotional trauma
- Mental disability
- Property damage
- Maintenance and Cure for seamen
What should I do if I've been injured in a slip & fall accident?
Most businesses and homeowners carry liability insurance to protect them in the event that someone is injured while on their property. The owner or possessor of a residence, land, or place of business has the duty to exercise reasonable care for the protection of those individuals who are invited to come upon the premises; i.e. individuals visiting for business or pleasure. In such cases, the owner, company, or person must inspect the premises to discover any dangerous conditions and warn the invitee of dangers upon said premises. Those injured by a negligent owner or possessor of a premises may recover damages for their injuries, including loss of income, medical expenses, pain and suffering, etc. Maryland, Slip and Fall Lawyer Thomas G. Witkop stands ready to provide you with strong representation in your slip and fall case, and take the worries of dealing with insurance companies off your shoulders.
Under what circumstances can a wrongful death occur?
Wrongful Death Law provides financial compensation to the family of a person whose death was caused by the negligent, willful or wrongful act of another. Wrongful death cases are filed as a result of a variety of situations, including:
- Medical malpractice resulting in a patient's death
- Neglect or abuse on the part of a nursing home that results in a patient's death
- Automobile, bus, train, airplane or other common carrier fatality accident
- Occupational exposure to hazardous conditions or substances (exposure to asbestos, etc.) resulting in death
- Death during a supervised activity (sports tournament, field trip, etc.)
The content of this website has been prepared by the Law Offices of Thomas G. Witkop for informational purposes only and is not to be construed as legal advice. The information presented here is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Online readers and Internet users should not act upon this information without first consulting Personal Injury/Accident Lawyer Thomas G. Witkop or another attorney.